Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup ~ Recipe

I love Panera's Broccoli Cheese soup - My parents and I will stop there for soup and salad when we're out and about running errands.  I've been meaning to try this recipe.  The only thing holding me back was the velveeta - I've never used it before!  I considered using shredded cheddar cheese instead, but I'm glad I didn't.  The velveeta melted so smooth and this soup was really good!  In my opinion, it's all about moderation.  This was a treat!  And perfect for dinner a few nights ago when the wind chill was 9 degrees.

My hubby tried to help me take pictures.... obvsiously that didn't go so well.  He insisted on having his fingers in the picture.  Good grief!


Broccoli Cheese Soup

  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli

  • 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

  • 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed

  • 2 cups milk

  • 2/3 cup cornstarch

  • 1 cup water

  • 
    In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Add garlic and saute for a couple minutes.  Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

    Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk.

    In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment